Frequently Asked Questions
Clermont Property Management takes pride in protecting our owners investment and we work closely with our tenants to have a pleasurable living experience. The following are frequently asked questions we receive regarding renting a property from Clermont.
1. What is the process for renting a property from Clermont Property Management?
- Select a property or properties from our website or one our advertising agencies that you are interested in viewing.
- Contact our office at 613-384-4477 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to view the property of interest. We have showing agents available to show properties Monday to Friday 9:30 AM till 4:30 PM. Evening and weekend showings are possible in certain circumstances.
- Submit an application either online or using the following form Rental Application Form. Processing an application takes our office between 3 to 5 business days. If your application has been approved, our office will contact you to arrange a time to meet to sign the lease.
- Once the lease has been signed a deposit for last month's rent is required in guaranteed funds to process the lease signing.
- A day and time will be arranged for you to return to our office to pick up keys for your new apartment or house and first month's rent will be required and your account information for taking over the utilities for the living space
2. Am I able to lease a property if I am not currently in Kingston or cannot get to Kingston?
- In order to lease a property, you must follow the steps above. Our office will be as efficient as possible with our applications and leases as they can be emailed or faxed to complete the transaction from anywhere.
3. What happens if I am interested in the unit I am viewing and want to put a down payment on it right away?
- In order to ensure we maintain a high standard of living in all rentals, we carefully review applications using our 4 step approach and we cannot approve someone right on the spot.
4. How long is a standard lease?
- A standard lease is twelve (12) months. In some circumstances, shorter leases are a possibility. If you are interested in a short-term lease, please contact our office to discuss possibilities.
5. Do I need references from previous landlords?
- Yes, we request references from previous landlords to ensure we are approving the best possible tenants for our properties.
6. How much do utilities cost per month?
- We cannot give an estimate on how much utilities are for any given unit. We encourage all potential tenants to contact Utilities Kingston at 613-546-0000 for an estimate of the monthly costs.
7. What payment methods are available for paying my rent?
- Interac is available in our office during regular business hours, Monday to Friday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. As well, other forms of payment are available for payment such as: post-dated cheques, pre-authorized monthly withdrawls or mailing a cheque or bank draft to our office.
8. How does my deposit for last month rent work?
- At the time of lease signing, a deposit for last month rent is required to be paid. In the event that a rental increase has occurred, the last month's rent deposit needs to be topped up accordingly. When you give notice to vacate your unit, the last month's rent will be covered by the deposit amount given when you signed your lease.
9. How much notice do I need to give before moving out?
- In order to provide sufficient time for our office to prepare, show and rent your unit, we require sixty (60) days notice before moving out. Notices to vacate must be given to our office on the first business day of the month you wish to give notice. For example, we require notice May 1st to vacate at the end of June.
10. Can I terminate my lease early?
- We understand that sometimes people need to end their lease earlier than originally agreed upon. If you wish to terminate your lease early, please contact our office and we will discuss the possibilities of making it happen. Please note that ending a lease early typically involves a cost to the tenant.
11. Revenue Canada is auditing me. How can I get a rent receipt from them?
- This is not a problem, just contact our office and request a rent receipt for the year and we will send it through the mail or you can come by our office and pick it up. Please allow 3-5 business days to process your request.
12. I have a maintenance issue. How do I get something fixed?
- Please call our office 613-384-4477 and speak to one of our property management representatives. They will get all the information and co-ordinate getting the issue resolved. If it is an after-hours emergency, please call our office and follow the prompts and leave a message. A member of our 24/7 maintenance team will receive the message and call you and deal with the emergency accordingly.
13. I have locked myself out of my rental unit, what do I do?
- If you have locked yourself out during office hours, call 613-384-4477 and we will arrange to have someone come open the door for you. If it is after hours, please call our office and follow the prompts and leave a message. If you require someone to open your door, you will be responsible for paying a fee of $75.00 to Clermont Property Management.
14. Can my landlord enter my unit? Am I able to refuse their entry?
- The landlord is required to provide 24 hour written notice prior to entering your unit. If notice has been properly given in accordance to the Residential Tenancies Act, you cannot refuse entry. Denying entry is interfering with the landlords rights and could lead to eviction.